In our Free eBook on 10 Exercises you can do at home to keep your brain alert and active, the first exercise we mention is to focus on the minute details.
Most of us see objects every day but don’t ever notice the details because we are too busy and we are missing a great opportunity to give our brains a workout! Exercise is important to keep your brain alert. Let me ask you … without looking, do you know what your kids or spouse is wearing today? Did you even notice what color their clothes are? What about when you walked in the office or your place of work, there is probably a picture or art in the reception area or office that you walk by every day, can you describe it? The last person you walked past, what color was their hair? … but if was to ask you what color was your first bicycle as a kid? I bet you remember … you probably even remember the color of the saddle! Get the idea? Most people let their brains become lazy as they grow older. By making a conscious effort to study and notice the details you can re-ignite your brain and be more brain alert every day.
Many people ask us for examples of what we mean by keeping your brain alert. Here are some very simple but extremely effective examples of how you can use this brain exercise every day to consistently train your brain and achieve peak performance.
Strategies to Keep Your Brain Alert
As you go about your daily tasks, don’t just “see” things around you, study them. These activities will help you keep your brain alert:
- While eating your breakfast, notice the color of your food, study the cereal box, how it is designed, the message on the box, think about what they are trying to communicate with the pictures and the text.
- When driving, look at the vehicle in front of you, notice the color of the vehicle, what is the make and model ? Are there any stickers or unusual markings? How many people are in the vehicle? Are there any scratches on it?
- As you walk into buildings or along the street, are there flowers along the pavement? What color are they, what type of flower is it? Hey .. why not stop for a second and smell the flower to think about it’s scent … do you like it? Think about all the things that had to happen for that beautiful flower to be right there where you are right now. Look to find the sprinkler to keep that flower watered every day … someone worked hard to make sure you could enjoy that flower … think about it and appreciate all that nature does to give you this amazing few seconds of beauty.
- Notice the carpentry work on the doors of the buildings, look at the joints and trim on the doors, notice how perfect (or imperfect) the joints are. Look at the carpet or flooring … no really look at it, study the details of the design, not just the overall color. See the pattern, notice every line, or tile joint, what color is the grout between the tiles. Studying details helps keep your brain alert.
- Are there paintings on the walls … you probably have walked by them every day of your life, but have you ever really looked at them? What are the painting of? People, places, scenery, abstract? What is the frame like … is there glass in the frame?
- Look at whatever is in front of you right now (apart from your computer or phone that you are reading this on!) your cup, your desk, your view out the window … study it, how many colors do you see, is there writing on it? what does it say?
- Focus on the minute detail in everything and notice after just a few days how alert you feel!
I’d love to hear your comments on things you noticed today … please leave your comments below and I’ll be happy to respond and answer your questions there.